Friday, July 23, 2010

Common Problem

I don't normally use this blog for this purpose, but I have a situation that I would like to question my 2 readers about.

I'm not a super social person and never have been. I don't have an endless source of witty comments and engaging conversational skills to dispell every awkward position I find myself in. When I try, I usually find my foot in my mouth or have worded something so wrong that I offend someone. It doesn't help that my everyday vocabulary is something to be envied by most mariners.

However, there are some words/phrases that even I won't use.

I recently found myself in an awkward situation, at least it was awkward to me, when a close friend was in my home and casually took the Lord's name in vain. It caught me off guard because this was someone I knew attended (my) church and did not expect it from them. At first, I was so surprised that I figured I must have heard them wrong. When it happened again, I was so stunned that I froze and had no idea what to say. By now, at least to me, the time to say something kindly like "would you mind using another phrase around my children", has passed and I cannot think of a way to breach the subject again. If/when they say it again, I feel like it is too late, like if I haven't said something already, I should just keep my mouth shut.

The problem is that my kids are hearing it from someone they know and I can't just say, "Oh we don't say those words" like I do for the TV. They know they go to church and believe the same as we do. So, what do I do?

So far...nothing.

1 comments:

Lea said...

I think it perfectly fine to tell the kiddos "We don't talk like that in our family" if they repeat what was said. Maybe they won't even notice. I heard that phrase all growing up because my mother's side grew up Catholic, but I knew I wasn't supposed to repeat it, so I didn't.:)

Post a Comment

 

lileylou | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates