Tuesday, October 5, 2010

NUTS!!!

I posted this cake on my other blog but I didn't want to tell the story there. This blog is not on my business card so I think I'm safe.

I donated a cake for the silent auction at the kids school last month and the winner contacted me shortly after to order the cake.

But...they have a "deadly" nut allergy.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!

Who bids on a cake at a silent auction at school for a donated cake from somebody's random kitchen when you have a "deadly" nut allergy???!!! I understand having a child with special dietary needs, so go buy a cake from a bakery where they have regulations for this kind of thing! Why would you risk your child's life buying a cake from a random auction? I didn't donate a nut-free cake!!!

I was told I needed to thorughly wash all pans, tools, racks, tips, utinsils, and countertops thoroughly in hot soapy water to sterilize. Then I needed to use all new ingredients that were not even made in a plant that processes nuts.

Everything was going to be ok.

Oops, the FOOD COLORING is made in a plant that processes nuts. AAAAAHHHHH!!! I can't color fondant with regular food coloring, it breaks down the proteins and makes it tear. I had to go buy powedered food color, which I have never used, and it made the fondant look grainy. Oh well.

This person had better appreciate what I have done for them. I am going to rethink donating next year.

1 comments:

Jeanne said...

Wow. What a pain. Next year donate, but say, "this cake will be made in a home (not regulated) kitchen". That is what they do at the farmer's market here. If you can't take the risk, you don't buy.

What a pain! I guess you have coloring for anyone with a food allergy who wants to buy a cake from you now. :)

Your cake looks great!

Post a Comment

 

lileylou | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates