Friday, March 9, 2012

So Proud

Near the beginning of the school year I went to parent-teacher conferences where Stevie's 3rd grade teacher informed me that Stevie was not taking tests every week on the books he was reading. 

I kindly informed her that it was because he had been reading the 5th Fablehaven for the past 3-4 weeks.  She then not-so-politely told me that those books were too advanced for him and that he should be reading books on his level. 

Being the kind of person who LOVES authority figures arguing with me, I went home and told Stevie to ignore her. He finished the book, tested on it, and was given the highest reading level of all the kids in his class...purple, whatever that means.


Last month, to my utter delight, Stevie chose to read The Hobbit, all on his own.  I told him after he finished the book and passed the test I would rent the 1977 cartoon version.  Well, we are watching it together tonight.  I am SO proud!

1 comments:

Jeanne said...

Good for you! I hate when teachers get all caught up in AR & what they think are appropriate reading levels.

Way to go Stevie!!

Post a Comment

 

lileylou | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates